Trading with a Flexible Mindset Parts 1 and 2


This piece that I include in this week's blog, basically took on a life of its own as I was working on it. My whole idea of being flexible was initially based around avoiding getting caught up too much with the descriptions of bull or bear, bullish or bearish. As I approached the end, I found myself adding a section referring to today's trading specifics. I, therefore, decided to split the article into Parts 1 and Parts 2. I hope it makes sense.

Part 1 (Bulls or Bear)

Trading with a flexible mindset is a critical skill that all traders must learn. While this may seem elementary, consider just how often you hear the media label a trader, a firm or even themselves as a “bull or a “bear.” From my perspective, this makes little sense within the Forex market.
Let’s say that you considered yourself to be a “bull” for the USD, or in other words, you think that the USD will rise in the future. To me, it’s a vague definition. Does it mean that you think that the USD will rise forever? Will it just be for a week? Will it only go up if the pair you are looking at first drops one hundred pips to a line of support? Without more details in one’s opinion, stating that someone is “bullish” doesn’t give away much information.
However, I sometimes fall into this trap myself, and I will occasionally say that I am bullish for a given currency pair without further explanation. This is, in my opinion, an overstatement and vague. The reason is that I have formed an opinion before I analyze the facts.

Example:

I am a Premier League Soccer/ Football fan, and my team is Everton. Because I always want Everton to win so badly (similar to someone holding a long position wanting the pair to rise), I find myself irrationally thinking that Everton is better than they are. So even though I know my bias changes my opinion, I simply cannot help myself.

However, in trading, there is a lot more on the line. If you have a general opinion before you analyze the current situation, then you are viewing the information without the benefit of a rational mindset. It may seem quite strange to hear, but it is true.

Do not misunderstand me, if you have a current opinion that a currency pair is likely to behave in a certain way due to your analysis that is fine. But many traders from open- ended opinions on currency pairs and then try to find an analysis that fits around that opinion. Let’s say you consider yourself to be generally bullish on the EUR/USD. The reason for this is that you think the Euro “looks better” than the dollar.

I am saying that if you are going to trade successfully, you must evaluate and review facts yourself and be flexible at all times. Researching and analyzing your trade and picking the entry based upon trading strategy and assessing the risks involved are all vitally important aspects of trading.

In my opinion, if you label yourself as a bull or a bear you take away the flexibility of trading based on the facts that are in front of you at any given time unless those facts support your decision to be  “bullish” or “bearish” a particular pair.

I like to think that I am NOT a trader but a RISK ASSESSMENT manager. I look at the RISKS and check them before I place the trade. It is a discipline worth having, and while it might sound like overkill, it’s better to be overcautious than flippant. Once your trading account is dry, that's it.

It is all common sense really, and trading currencies are not rocket science, it is about being able to assemble thoughts, analyze charts and implement a set of strategies and work within a TRADING PLAN with good MONEY and RISK MANAGEMENT disciplines.

Part 2 (Some Thoughts On Trading To-Day):

A FEW TIPS FOR THIS MARKET TRADING WITH A FLEXIBLE MINDSET has taken on a whole new meaning of late, and I want to elaborate with a few paragraphs.

The Current Forex market is a volatile Chop Fest where even the most experienced traders are being caught out on the wrong sides of trades, and traders’ accounts are being squeezed. Being flexible in your approach is vital to trading success today.

Variable Lot Sizes:

When I first started trading, I traded standard lot sizes only. The broker said this is the way to go. What utter bulls**t, I left that broker and found a more real world one that I am still with today 7 years later. I moved from a standard lot account to a mini lot account. If I want to trade a standard lot, I just trade 10 mini lots easy.

Now I have five brokers; two are mini lot only, and the other three are micro, mini and standard lots. This now gives me the ultimate flexibility of trade sizes. I can add to or remove partial trade sizes whenever I want. This gives me 100% flexibility.

Position Sizes and Wider Stops:

Today, I would trade with smaller position sizes. Use the advantage of micro, mini and standard lot combinations but trade smaller in this period of volatility. Secondly, because of the market volatility place your stops a little wider away, but remain within your TRADE PLAN guidelines.

Do not be Afraid to Take Losses:

This market sucks! Do not allow trades to get away from you. Do not be afraid to bank losses. Losses are a part of trading everyone has them.

If the Market changes Bank the Cash:

In today’s volatility, if you are in profit and you see your profits start to erode, start to be aggressive in removing part of your position size and moving stops to break even. Move stops to break even to protect yourself quicker than maybe you used to. Take profits off the table. Remember, it’s better to bank some $$$ than nothing at all.

There are no prizes for “would could should”. Right now as traders, we have to be lean, quick and efficient. Again, it’s all about applying common sense.


TRADING WITH A FLEXIBLE MINDSET covers all aspects of your trading. It is essential to a trader’s success.

Comments

Popular Posts